Is coal a better way to heat your home than using wood from trees?

Coal is definitely a better alternative to wood, as it is fast-burning, more sustainable, and more environmentally friendly. Using wood can add to increased deforestation, so coal is a more reliable way to heat homes. “Coal is nonetheless a cheap, plentiful, mined-in-America source of heat.”

I think I would have to dissagree with chromium100.  While coal is cheap and plentiful, I think wood is a better choice for heating.  Burning coal would release carbon dioxide back into the air that was sealed away within the coal.  By burning wood your only releasing the co2 that was recently absorbed by the tree.  More trees would be grown replace what was used as firewood so its a carbon neutral process.  Trees would have to be grown on a farm or other sustainable method though.