Is chicken pox a dangerous disease?

Chicken pox rarely results in death, though it can.  Chicken pox can develop complications which make the disease more dangerous.  The most susceptible demographics are non-immune pregnant women and adult males.  Some infections can result in anorexia from the loss of appetite; in the most sever cases the fever that develops from chicken pox (which is a normal symptom) get so high that it causes brain damage. 

Though children are generally thought to be safe from the disease, studies show that 1/3rd of strokes in children are caused by chicken pox.  Even though chicken pox is a common disease, it’s complications can be severe in all age demographics and genders.

Chicken pox can be dangerous if caught by young children with weak immune system or by pregnant women and other adults because the symptoms can be more severe. Chicken pox is highly contagious; it is interesting to note that more than 95 percent of Americans catch the disease by the time they reach adulthood. This number will lower as time goes on because a vaccine is now available and most children are getting it.

I had chickenpox when I was about five and got over it quickly. I don’t remember much about the experience except the part about all the red spots. They all went away without leaving any scarring, and I don’t remember them being any worse than bug bites. I grew up in Texas with fire ants and mosquitoes, and I remember suffering a lot more from those than from chicken pox. Reactions will be different in different people, but it is a very common disease that most people experience and survive. My mom said that it was a good thing I caught it when I was little because it is more dangerous to adults than it is to children.

Chicken pox is a fairly common disease, but complications can arise. There are many cases of parents purposely exposing their children to chicken pox, since it’s a lot harder to deal with when you are older. I got the disease when I was about 5 years old and it didn’t last too long. Oat meal baths are one of the best remedies!