can you get sick from just touching mercury?



  1. 0 Votes

    No, you cannot get mercury poisoning from just touching mercury. You could get sick if you touched the mercury and it got into an open wound or if you touched it and then put it in your mouth. If you ingest mercury or if it gets into a wound then it can make you sick.

  2. 0 Votes

    I would say that it’s possible.  Skin is the body’s largest organ, and absorbs from the surface.  While Dr. Terry states on the CCMR website you can’t be poisoned by touching mercury, and this is true in a sense, if the mercury were left on the skin then it would be absorbed and enter the body systems through circulation.  Dr. Terry’s claim is probably relevant to the scenario where it was immediately washed off.

Please signup or login to answer this question.

Sorry,At this time user registration is disabled. We will open registration soon!