Can we use the electricity from electric eels?

When I first read this question, I was a bit baffled.  I thought no way, that is ridiculous.  Then I found this video:

The electric eel, which technically is not an eel at all, can provide up to 500 volts and 1 amp of electrical current. Harnessing this electricity would be sporadic and possibly more costly than obtaining the electricity by other means.

The electric eel typically produces the greatest electrical shock when it is feeling attacked, so it would likely have to be in a defensive mode for a large percentage of the time, which raises ethical issues about the treatment of the eels.

Further, one of the reasons alternative energies like wind and solar have had difficulty obtaining industry viability is because it is difficult to collect large amounts of energy on demand, like during peak hours. Current research is being done involving the use of Vanadium Redox battery systems that can store the energy from wind and solar, and supply large amounts almost instantaneously, but the viabillity of electricity from eels would be more sporadic, and involve a long term cost that probably exceeds the maintenance of solar and wind systems.