Can water get so salty that fish can no longer live in them?



  1. 0 Votes

    Yes, a salinity “shock” can indeed kill fish, especially if they are used to fresh water.  Hydrometers are used to obtain the salinity of water, so salinity can be regulated in areas. 

  2. 0 Votes

    Yes, it can.  However, not in the ocean.  Hypersaline environments exist in enclosed seas and lakes where evaporation can surpass freshwater input. Good examples of this are the Great Salt Lake (Utah) and the Dead Sea, both of which are too salty for fish.  The salinity shock mentioned by the other responder is different from water that is too salty.  Salinity shock comes from a rapid change in salinity.  When the salt levels (in an aquarium for example) change faster than the fish are able to adapt to it, they can go into shock and die.  This does not mean that the new salinity was too great for them, only that the change happened to quickly.

Please signup or login to answer this question.

Sorry,At this time user registration is disabled. We will open registration soon!