Can water ever get too acidic for fish to live in it?



  1. emc
    0 Votes

    The US has problems with watershed pollution due to acid rain.  Acid rain can raise toxicity levels in streams or lakes dangerously high.  Fish and other organisms often die when the pH balance is lost.  Lower pH levels means a higher concentration of aluminum, offsetting the natural order of food and habitats.

  2. 0 Votes

    Yes, water can be too acidic for fish. Acid rain has been causing reproductive issues in fish in Japan. Apparently at a pH of 4, fish start to die and the fish that survive, often become sterile or their offspring die soon after birth. A pH of 4, is almost as acidic as vinegar and at a pH of 3, all fish die. 

Please signup or login to answer this question.

Sorry,At this time user registration is disabled. We will open registration soon!