Can a for profit enterprise ever really benefit the greater good or are they by nature exploitative?

I will answer this as an opinion question. I believe that they can benefit the greater good, but by only first satisfying their own needs and wants. Humans by nature are going to be competitive and will most of the time, do whatever they can to gain an advantage over others of the same species. Remember, that we are animals and that we will likely live by the Charles Darwin’s theory of “Survival of the Fittest.” It is very unfortunate, but I believe this to be the truth. 

I think it’s based on intention.  Some people may want to make a profit to further extend the potential…. probably doesn’t happen very often, but those profits could be donated to charities or invested in other companies that promote positive progression.  By doing so it can complete the circle, interconnect everyone.