Can mosquitoes ruin a water supply?

They won’t necessarily ruin a water supply directly — it’s the chemicals in the pesticides that are applied in dangerous amounts to kill the mosquitoes. Some popular pesticides include Alachlor, Atrazine, and Endothall.

While in agreement with the above answer, mosquitoes can be a contaminant in private water supplies. Mosquitoes breed in stagnant water, which include water tanks. Without proper screening, you can find little twitching mosquito larvae in your glass of water. If your tank is infested, you can add a tiny bit of liquid paraffin or domestic kerosene, but my friend and I didn’t know that while we were WWOOFing in New Zealand, and had to filter out the larvae with tea strainers! I don’t recommend that though, I doubt it was very effective. (ew)