Can I grow an avocado tree from an avocado I get at the grocery store?

From personal experience yes, you can. When I was in pre-school, one of our experiments was sticking three toothpicks into an avocado seed, and suspending it in a plastic cup filled with cotton. The purpose of the experiment was to watch how the roots grew downward as a result of gravity despite the seed’s position. I liked my plant so much, that my father transplanted it into a pot of soil, then into our backyard later on. We moved shortly after, but it was growing quite well til then!

Yes, you sure can grow your own avocado tree from a store-bought avocado. In the following link, there are advices and guidance on how to grow and nurture an avocado tree: Keep in mind though that avocado trees are tropical plants and thrive in mild climates, which can play a huge role in whether or not you’ll be able to grow one.

Another link that is helpful for those those eager to grow avocado trees is: