can I get more use out of my propane bottle if I keep it hot or cold?

Warm > Cold

Unfortunately this is a tricky question. When dealing with most consumer propane cylinders, you are working with liquid propane that converts into gas when being used. This liquid propane is inherently a very cold substance—*warning* extremely cold. Aside from the fact that I am assuming you are not planning to store any combustible container into your handy dandy freezer, when the conversion process occurs between liquid and gas, cold weather tends to slow down this process.

On the other hand, heat can be a very dangerous element when applied to combustible containers. So keeping your propane tank at an optimal temperature to the point where it is effectively improving your consumption, can be a tricky game. However there are options for you! Check out the Power Blanket.