Can I get money for volunteering my van for carpooling?

Perhaps, it really depends on your employer and local or state governments. I’ve included a link to an EPA report on carpooling incentives and when they’re appropriate. It should give you a good idea of where to look if there are such programs in existence where you live. However, carpooling will save you and whoever travels with you money in the short and long runs. If you’re doing all the driving in your pool because of the van, your passengers should help pay, if not completely pay, for the gas that you otherwise would be paying for yourself. You may also be able to work something out where they will help contribute to you’re vehicle’s maintenance related to carpooling.

I know Washington, D.C. is piloting a carpooling incentive program, giving carpoolers some cash to offset the cash they’d spend on gas.