Can I compost if I live in an apartment?

I don’t have a lawn available to me, so I’m not sure what I would do with it, but I’m looking for a better way to dispose of my food waste (I already recycle). Any suggestions?

Worm bins are a great way to compost in your apartment because you won’t have enough dry material for a regular compost bin. However, if you have roommates it may be a little difficult to convince them. When I lived in an apartment, I wanted to have a worm bin inside, but my roommates were too squeamish. Currently, I like using my chickens to compost most of my kitchen scraps, but I doubt that your apartment manager would approve of that one!

Yes, you certainly can compost in an apartment.  The link that I have attached goes into detail about doing so.  If you have balcony or room under the sink those those places work great!  You’ll have to buy a container or garbage can to have the compost in as well as something to keep under it.  You’ll have to put holes in the box as well as purchase soil and dry bedding.  It shouldn’t smell, but if it does just add more dry bedding.  Good luck!

Some apartment complex’s have community gardens that can be used by everyone. You might want to check in and see if this is a viable option. If not, see if you can get one made! It’s a great way to get the community involved with being green, as well as help with your compost situation. Like everyone else mentioned, even if a community garden isn’t an option, there are still plenty of other things that you can do to make it work. 

Worm composts are phenomenal for this kind of thing. First, they do not smell nearly as much as regular composts. Your food scraps will degrade much faster and the compost created is very rich and very healthy for the garden.

Check the link I provided. It has pictures and very easy instructions. It tells you what worms like and what they don’t like. Absolute must for a beginner looking for easy instructions. Good luck. I’m starting mine (outside) very soon. My landlord is awesome that way.