Can GPS determine elevation?

The GPS is a global positioning device. Its job is to know where you are and this includes elevation as well as latitude and longitude. I used a Garmin Nuvi GPS recently on a trip past Lake Tahoe. It gave a play by play elevation change in feet and a bunch of other cool statistics. It was pretty neat to be able to tell exactly how far above sea level I was. Some of the other cool statistics included carbon emissions, how much you’ve paid in gas, average mph, average mpg and much more.

Yes but through mathematical equation by using the distance from the center of the earth and the distance to your location based on a surface model. But this measurement is give or take 30 metres off dependent on the location. For a more accurate reading you can get specific programs like eTrex Vista.