Can Google maps be used to make your drive more efficient?

Google Maps is a free, web-mapping service application provided by Google that offers street maps, a route planner for traveling by foot, car, bike or public transport and an urban business locator for numerous countries around the world.

Since I don’t have a GPS navigation device in my car, I rely on Google Maps to tell me where to go. I find this to be a very efficient way to drive, since I know exactly where it is I’m going. This limits downtime of being lost or trying to drive around and find your way. A lot of companies put Google Maps on their websites, which is a great way to make sure customers know how to find you. 

Google Maps is programmed to provide the route of least distance (least miles). However it doesn’t account for time factors like traffic, whether the road is winding or straight, or weather conditions. In that respect Google Maps will not always take you on the most efficient route but usually it does. If you are unfamiliar with the area you are driving in I would use the route Google provides for you.