Can an earthquake expand the earth’s crust and thereby slow the rotation of the planet and lengthen a day?

I guess this would be the opposite effect of what occurred in Japan. It seems to me that it must be able to work the other way, otherwise, the geologic history of the earth would be of ever increasingly shorter days.

Earthquakes occur at the boundaries between tectonic plates when these plates collide, diverge, or slide against each other due to the currents generated by the magma below them. While the actions of the plates are what ultimately generate mountains, they do not expand the Earth’s crust in any uniform way. The increased mass and increase in the Earth’s diameter are both on such a relatively tiny scale that no impact on the length of a day could likely be measured, if there is one at all.