Can chewing gum decompose in compost?

Good question, franceseugenia.  The base of chewing gum is not biodegradable, so it would not decompose in compost.  Check out the site below for a lot of good info on chewing gum and how it has become a problem in some areas.  The site, as you may see by the url, sells these chewing gum bins, where you discard your used gum.  I think my school could use one of them!

Anyway, hope this helps!

Chewing gum is made from chicle, which is another form of rubber.  As stated earlier it is not biodegradable, but there is a new company that has come out with a biodegradable gum called Chicza rainforest gum.  This product is said to be able to decompose within six weeks, and is made from materials taken from the chicozapote tree in Mexico.