Can carbon taxes or trading be used to fund green energy projects?

Definitely. One of the great things about currency is that it can be used for almost anything you can imagine. I think that a simple carbon tax would more likely generate funds for the government, however. With carbon trading, the quantity of carbon is fixed and the price is variable. Carbon trading can work in a few different ways. The way that would generate the most funds for the government is if the government held onto all the carbon credits and made corporations or people bid for them. However, due to complex political processes, I think that it is more likely that the government will favor certain industries by giving them free carbon credits. Then, the industries will trade them with each other and the money will not go back to the government.