Business Week just posted an article about cars we can’t drive in the US. What are the reasons behind this?

I know it says that people in other countries have different needs and budgets but what if my needs and budget are the same?

Ha. I agree, sometimes our needs and budgets are the same those in other places.

One of the primary reasons I can come with is demand. The Chevy Spark, for example, is much smaller than their next largest currently available here, the Aveo, but has not previously been marketed here since the roughly $11,000 price tag on the Aveo seems cheap enough. We of course might not agree, but that’s what Chevy may think. They will begin to market the Spark here in 2011 apparently. On the other hand, there could be some issues on the supply side as well… As in why market a small, $2500 vehicle here when you can milk them for 8Gs more?

In researching the history of the Mini Cooper for another GreenAnswers question recently (which I for some reason was unable to locate), the Mini was pulled from the US in the 1960s due to safety and emission standards. This likely plays a role in vehicles now as well, for example in the case of many of the three wheeled vehicles used throughout the third world.

Some of those vehicles look ridiculously expensive in that post, although I doubt that is one of the reasons they aren’t sold here. Plenty of vehicles have been purchased abroad and shipped here, but I imagine that a relatively cheap vehicle would be too expensive when that becomes to case. I don’t think I really answered your question any better than if you just researched it yourself, but at least I threw some ideas out there to stimulate further discussion.