Besides everyone going vegetarian because its not realistic what do you think are some solutions to this problem?

First of all, you can eat meat less frequently and utilize other sources of protein, such as beans, eggs, and nuts, more often in your meals. I personally only eat one meal containing meat a day- it really isn’t hard to do if you slowly scale back the amount of meat you eat. When you do eat meat, choose meats that require less energy to produce such as chicken and farmed fish or sustainable varieties of wild fish.  

I agree with the above answer. Human’s only need a tiny amount of meat a day to be healthy, so we could dramatically reduce how much meat we eat and still get enough protein. If we cut down on the demand of meat, farmers would be less likely to increase production at the expense of the local environment.

I also agree with the above. It’s very hard to pass up that hamburger, but also supplementing sources of meat like fast food with meat you buy yourself gives you more control over the origin of the food. Buying sustainable or free-range meat from the grocery store or your local natural foods store gives you more control over who you support. Meat is a very important part of the human diet (I am not vegetarian myself) but the consumption of it has skyrocketed, but knowing how much protein you really need can help you limit the amount of meat you eat. Supplementing with other sources of protein such as eggs, beans and nuts gives you a more well-rounded and healthy diet anyway.

Also, find businesses that support free-range meat production and avoid those that give you no information. For example, I like getting chicken burritos at Chipotle because they advertise that the meat is free-range. We want more of that, so I support it with my dollar.

I think, like the answers above it is about self-control. I too enjoy a good hamburger, however over the last couple of years I have made a concerted effort too limit my red-meat, especially, intake to about  two or three times a week. I think the biggest difference makers will be new parents who raise their kids on diets with less meat in them.

I’m a vegan but before that I was a vegetarian. I do think that if you cut back on eating animals that’s great but having seen the amazing recipes and even ready-made meals out there today for everyone to buy I can’t fathom why anyone would want to eat meat!!

Please take time to visit this website and have a good look round it and watch the videos they have. It maybe that you start by having the infamous ‘meat-free’ Monday as advocated by the McCartney family!

Anyone can go veggie and if you subscribe to this site you obviously care about the planet etc. Going meat-free doesn’t mean going taste-free – it opens up a whole new world of food and believe me most vegans I talk too rave about food!! i.e usually what cake, curry, pizza, ‘cheese’cake, chilli etc etc recipe they have just discovered!

I used to think vegans were weird – now I just think the food is awesome and some vegans aren’t too bad either!!

I think the biggest thing America needs is a cultural, particularly food cultural, shift. The consumerist ideology behind “more, faster, cheaper” is dangerous, particularly when paired with meat. Does anyone really need a one pound burger? If people started following serving sizes and only eating 4oz of meat per meal, instead of up to 16oz, that in itself would help.

Education and raising awareness about the vegetarian options would help. There are a lot of delicious vegetarian food options, but they aren’t well represented in restaurants. Instead, the token vegetarian option is usually a veggie burger. A lot of people see to think being vegetarian means eating nothing but tofu and salads. I eat vegetarian most of the time, and I never eat tofu or salads.

Also, as said above, if all of American would subscribed to eating vegetarian one or two days out of the week, or even two meals per day, that would help. There are a lot of food choices between all-meat all the time and strict veganism. We just need to make them well-known.

I am not currently but have been a vegetarian.  However, we only eat meat a couple of times a week and we only buy meat that is grass raised beef or truly free range chicken (where we know the farmers and have seen the farms).  I don’t happen to disagree that there are plenty of delicious vegetarian meals available, I do however disagree with not eating any meat, and not simply because of B vitamins or other amino acids, but because of the difference cooking and eating meat made in our overall evolutionary development.  We are omnivores by nature, (yes we can actually do it naturally, but tools did help), we are humans are adaptable so that we can take maximum advantage of our environment.  But that does not mean that we need to eat meat anywhere even remotely near the amounts we currently do, nor does it mean that we need to raise cattle, chicken or anything else in the inhumane ways that we currently do. 

I think just eating a balanced diet is the way to go.   Eating too much of something is never good, so balance your meat intake with veggies.  I eat meat very rarely, but my family eats it probably 2 or 3 days a week.  There are great alternatives to meat, that are much more cost effective too!  Nothing is worse that depriving yourself of something you love, just don’t splurge!