Is being a vegetarian a better way to go green than changing your light bulbs?

Being a vegetarian is more of an indirect approach to being green. When you use an energy efficient light bulb, you’re directly conserving energy and saving money.

The resources saved from being a vegetarian I think are much more important than changing a light bulb. The amount of grain used to raise beef and the transportation costs as well in my opinion make vegetarianism a more green option.

This is hard to quantify…being a vegetarian is a long-term life choice, while changing your light bulbs is a one time thing.  Personally, it is my opinion that being a vegetarian would be better for the environment in the scenario you present.  You wouldn’t be supporting factory farming, which is extremely detrimental to the environment.  

I guess that depends on how many lightbulbs you are going to be changing. In my opinion, I believe that becoming a vegetarian is one of the “greener” things a person can do. Like shea has mentioned before, the amount of resources it takes to bring meat from the fields to the table is phenomenal.  Plain and simple, it takes more grain to feed a cow than it does a human. By not eating meat, vegetarians eliminate themselves from the equation, and every small bit helps to make for a more sustainable cause. 

“Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.” 

–Albert Einstein