Assuming the cow will be killed anyway, what do you think about using its fat for motor oil?

I think it is a fantastic idea!  Like you said, assuming the cow is going to be killed anyway, we may as well find every use it as we can.  By making sure we utilize all of a cow, we can potentially offset the use of other things, in this case crude oil, to help become a more sustainable society.

Thanks for your thoughts jeffb! That’s pretty much what I think too.

The one thing I wonder about is could there by unseen unintended consequences, kind of like how there are with ethanol? Like, maybe more greenhouse gases are released in the process of transforming cow fat into motor oil than from crude?

I personally have no idea, I just am always interested by the possible secondary effects of these alternative solutions.