Are zoos the best form of conservation that we have?

2

Answers

In my opinion, zoos are not the best form of conservation because the wildlife is locked up in a manmade facility and can’t live their lives naturally. True, zoos do a great job of breeding endangered species to preserve their population, healing sick or severely injured animals and educating the public about wildlife and nature. However, wildlife, ultimately resides in nature, so the best conservation form is protecting their habitats and its pristineness. 

I agree with majphan. What I consider our best means of conservation is the National Parks, where animals can live relatively undisturbed in their natural habitat. Zoos do important work though, preserving species that are nearly extinct and attempting to breed them, for instance. Zoos also do a lot of research, which can help us preserve our environment and enforce laws to protect it.