Are young people moving away from the concept of suburbs?

Most young people today are moving back in with there parents after college. With this being said, young professionals are beginning to move where the jobs are, and that is in large Cities. Another point is now active the lifestyle of city life is as compared to the suburbs which also attracts the attention of the younger crowd. The last point is how much it takes to own a house. With this economy, a lot of new professionals don’t have the cash or credit to finance a house and to either rent or own, it is less expensive in the city. Other things are less expensive in the city as well, like transportation costs and so forth.

Since all the jobs are in the big cities, yes young people are drawn towards cities. There is also active nightlife in big cities, and plenty of culture and activities all the time. It is impossible to be bored in a city, and the prospect of one is romanticized and appealing to young people.

It’s become the “trendy” thing also to move to a big city.

I don’t know that suburbia has ever been the place for young people because it is more expensive to live there. There are less apartments in suburbia, and as other people have pointed out, less jobs and less activities. I think as people choose to “settle down”  they move back towards suburbia.

Speaking as a relatively young person, the idea of choosing to live in the suburbs now is both aesthetically unappealing and pragmatically impractical. In a city I can get around easily on foot or using public transportation (no need for a car), my grocery store is within easy walking distance (condensed neighbourhoods), if my shower stops working I don’t have to worry about it (no house to maintain), if I want to do something at 11pm there are plenty of options (nightlife).

That said, I’m not sure I would want to have a family and raise children in the city. Good schools, safer neighbourhoods, and a lawn are all incentives to move back in a decade or so. So while young people may be literally moving away from suburbs, I think the concept of suburbia will prevail (at least as long as we have space).

I think there is a difference between young people and young families. The suburbs have generally been the domain of people with careers and families, and now young people are putting those off longer than past generations, so they are older when they do move to suburbs.

I also think the suburbs have a reputation of being old fashioned with their sprawl and car-centric culture, and do not appeal to the young and environmentally minded. When I start a family in a few years I may be tempted by the bigger houses in the burbs, but I really hope to keep living somewhere walk and bikeable. 

According to a 2008 survey taken by the Pew Research Center Social & Demographic Trends, those satisfied with living in suburban communities were of all ages, with no significant difference in young or old. Over 2200 people were surveyed from the suburbs, cities, small towns, and rural areas, and 42% of the people from suburbs gave their community high marks, compared with 25-34% in each of the other types of living areas. Of those dissatisfied with their suburbs, 39% were older adults. The survey could have been more comprehensive, but based on the questions asked, young people from all over the country don’t seem to be too dissatisfied.  This suggests that the image of suburbs may be negative, but the reality is people keep moving there and seem more content than the rest of Americans.

Speaking as a fairly young person though, I would absolutely dread a suburban home.