Are you veg?

You (Julie Ray) make it sound so hard: research this, research that, check with nutritionist, doctor or professional. Unless you have a health condition already that requires some special nutirional support there is nothing about going vegan that requires professional assistance. The only research involved is to read food labels to make sure they don’t contain animal products — and if you’re eating whole foods — you don’t even have to do that. Just do it.

I’m not a vegetarian or a vegan, however I do eat very little meat.  Personally, I do not think it is necessary to consult a nutritionist or doctor unless, like you said, there is an underlying medical condition.  As long as you are getting all the nutrients you need, then it is fine.  Plus, getting all those nutrients is quite easy, you don’t need to pay to have a nutritionist tell you what to eat. Perhaps people should consult doctors about eating red meat on a regular basis.  

I am not a vegetarian. However, I do make an effort to consume less meat. Having fresh eggs available from my back yard helps. However, egg yolks are high in cholesterol, so I don’t eat them every single day and end up giving a lot of them away to friends.

99% of the time I am vegetarian but I give myself the option of having meat (usually only chicken or fish) every now and then if I’m really craving it. 

I also disagree that you need to consult a doc before going veg because as mcoffey mentions a lot of people who eat meat don’t consult a doc and their diets are a lot worse than a vegetarian’s. 

That being said you might want to do a little research just to give you flexibility and options in the type of vegetarian or vegan food you could eat.  Because most of our society is centered around being a meat-eater it is sometimes difficult to find healthy AND vegetarian options (especially when you’re out and about and in more commercial areas like malls and sporting events). 

The problem is that a lot of vegetarian items that are meatless can be really bad for you: greasy pizza, mac and cheese loaded with butter, baked potatoes stuffed with sour cream and cheese.  For those that don’t know or aren’t aware of healthier options, it can be difficult to eat well.  A little Google search though (or a quick trip around GreenAnswers) will easily solve that and provide many healthy, tasty AND vegetarian dishses to keep you satisfied!

Agreed! I am also not a “veg” and only eat meat of any sort on sem-rare occasions. Also much like the other posters here tend to eat lighter meats such as chicken and fish!

I am a gluten-free vegetarian, and I do resent the implication that there is any greater health risk to a vegetarian diet than to an average American’s diet.  Finding protein and vitamins in non-meat sources isn’t exactly rocket science.  As a matter of fact, I would contest that having a restrictive diet such as mine has made it much easier to have a healthy diet, since many gf and vegetarian foods are catered  natural food/health nut kinds of people (it is very difficult, for example, to find a gluten free item with partially hydrogenated oil in it).  That said, educating yourself about the foods you eat is important for everyone, vegetarian and non-vegetarian.  It doen’t necessarily require a doctor’s visit, but there’s nothing wrong with knowing what exactly it is you’re puting in your body (and where exactly it came from).

I’m not but on certain days my mom will have to eat veg. And my grandma is totaly veg.

I primarily eat a vegetarian diet, though lately I’ve been eating more cheese and eggs. Every once in a while I’ll have fish to supplement my diet. It’s really not that difficult to eat a vegetarian diet though. I feel healthy eating whole grains, a variety of fruits and vegetables, nuts, beans, tofu, and tempeh.

I am a vegetarian before 6, meaning I eat vegetarian for breakfast and lunch and mostly eggs, tofu and fish for dinner. I got this inspiration from Mark Bittman who wrote for The New York Times. He is a vegan before 6 and this dietary change has helped cure a lot of his health problems. I eat lots of fruits and veggies (more like 8 servings a day or more) I eat hardboiled eggs and tofu a lot. every week I either make a big batch of bean stew or beans and rice for lunch to last for several days. Knocked on wood: I haven’t had much health problems. I feel well. I feel energetic physically. I feel good about killing one less animal because of my dietary choices. my skin’s gotten better. I think I save more money by eating less meat. I think the key to a meatless diet is variety and natural foods.