Are vitamin bottles recyclable?

Vitamin bottles often have a recycling number of 1, 2, and 5.  While this would lead one to assume that means they are recyclable, they are often not. Various curbside recycling programs will accept vitamin bottles for recycling, bur prescription bottles are not recyclable. Vitamin bottles are often not recyclable either. The mechanism for making these bottles is different making them more rigid. Because of this they cannot be recycled with other #1, #2, and #5 plastics.

Check the bottom of the bottle. Recyclable plastics are marked with a triangular recycling symbol with a number in the middle. This number will be 1-7. Be aware, however, that many recycling centers only recycle #1 and #2 plastics. You may have to make a few phone calls to find out where to recycle other types of plastic.

If your bottle is a #5, you can recycle it through Preserve’s Gimme5 program.  There are Gimme5 drop boxes at participating Whole Foods stores, although sometimes you have to ask at the customer service desk to find the drop box.  If there is no drop box near you, there is an address to mail them to.  Preserve also accepts #5 yogurt containers, Brita pitcher filters, as well as its own #5 products.  Check out the info on their web site below.

Hi fakeplasticfishdotcom: I looked at the preserve link and their program looks very interesting. The only thing I’m confused about is why would someone need to recycle their plastic bottles through the Gimme5 drop boxes instead of just dropping them in their curbside recycling bin?

Hi Jimbo. Many curbside recycling programs will not accept #5 containers or #5 medicine bottles. You should check with your city.

Also, even if your city does accept them, most of our plastic recycling is shipped off to China, where it is either incinerated for power or recycled into cheap plastic junk that is shipped back to us. At least with Preserve, their products are manufactured in the United States, and you know what products are being made from your recycled material: toothbrushes, razors, and other houseware.

I’m not getting paid by Preserve to promote them, by the way! I just believe that we ought to keep our waste at home and deal with it here.

Wow, I had no idea! I have been just tossing them in my recycling bin. Thanks for the explanation!

Maybe.  Call your local recycling center and ask.  As was mentioned before, it’ll have a number that corresponds to how it’s manufactured.