Are toilets the biggest water wasters in our homes?

I wouldn’t necessarily call a toilet a water “waster” but it is definitely plays the most dominant role in everyday water use. Every time you flush, five to seven gallons of water are used. However, if you take long showers every day, you can easily consume more water than you do by flushing the toilet a few times a day.

It’s also important to make sure that there are not leaks, as steady drips from a leaky faucet or pipe can quickly add up. Check out the link below for some water-conserving tips.

I would argue that any water pipe that is leaking is the biggest water waster, because the leaking water isn’t even being used for anything.  As far as whether the amount of water used for toilets is the highest in our home, it sort of depends. If you go here and look at this average water usage chart for a typical home, you will see that there are a lot of big numbers on there. I think it really depends on how many people are living in your house, and what their habits are. 

Hope this helps!