Are those spray air fresheners safe to breathe in? What is in them? Should I just resort to lighting incense instead of using those spray can air fresheners?

Most spray air fresheners do nothing more than add more pollution to the air inside your home. They emit volatile organic compounds like many paints, and overexposure to them can cause headache, nervousness, dizziness, tremors, fatigue, and nausea. I’m not sure about incense. The article in the citation source suggests chopping up a lemon or keeping fresh coffee grounds on a counter.

Incense probably isn’t much better. When you burn it you’re adding particulate pollution and VOCs formed from incomplete combustion into the house. Growing houseplants or cut flowers might help with the smell some.