Are there insulations for houses that do better in the heat or cold?

If you’re building a house right now, there are some easily accessible materials with lower carbon footprints that work as great insulators in the cold or heat.  My father-in-law has been building with cordwood for twenty-five years.   Cordwood constructions are made of logs, mortar, and a layer of insulating mortar that fills the space between the interior and exterior walls.  He and most other cordwood constructors make the mortar out of sawdust, sand, and limestone though I’ve read some people incorporate cob mixtures (clay, sand, and straw) into the cordwood.

If you haven’t seen cordwood before, here’s a cordwood house my father-in-law built.   Below is a link to a very informative article about the environmental benefits and insulation properties of this material by cordwood expert Rob Roy.