Are there any water bottles that filter the water so you can drink out of a stream, lake, or river?

There are portable water bottles that filter water, but I would try to keep the water I’m trying to filter from a stream, lake, or river rather clean to start with. Here are some popular filtering water bottles: Innova Water Filter Bottle, Exstream, Clear Brook Portable Water Filter Bottle and Bota of Boulder Outdoor Bottle Filter. 

Years ago, I discovered one of these while shopping at a local REI in Washington. They do exist, and they are very handy when hiking, camping, or just being outdoors.

REI sells the SteriPEN water bottle filter for about $14. has a bottle with a built-in filter, and the bottle is made from corn.

Clear2O has a series of bottles called Clear2Go with built-in filters.

Finally, have some stainless steel bottles with filters.

I have done some reviews on the most popular filtering water bottles available today. Check out this site

The bobble is a very popular water bottle with a filter to use while hiking. I have linked below a website that sells both the bottles and filters seperately.

I bought one from my local Red Cross store a few years ago that filters water from streams and rivers while hiking. It has purifying tablets and a mesh screen to filter out debris. I’ve used it a few times and it has worked well, and is a good size to carry around (20oz). 

You can actually make an effective filtration system quite easily. There are several ways to do this and its extremely useful when camping and backpacking. The basic ingredients needed are: activated charcoal granules, sand, and cotton. From these ingredients you could make a simple filtration straw.