Are there any studies documenting the benefit of organic products for the health of pregnant women and their unborn children?

Yes, there have been studies done on the effects of eating organic food on pregnant women, and they all seem favorable. Many experts agree that the biggest risk to the baby is from pesticides and herbicides in conventionally grown fruits and vegetables from the mother’s diet, as these chemicals have been shown to cross the placenta. In addition, “Children and pregnant women are also most vulnerable to the affects of synthetic growth hormones since studies have shown they can alter hormone production, lead to reproductive and developmental problems and possibly lead to cancer.” Therefore, organic food solves all of these problems and ensures a healthy mother and baby. 

I haven’t heard of studies saying that organic products are safe, but I have seen numerous studies saying that inorganic products are unsafe. Fertilizers have been shown to cross the placenta during pregnancy. There have been studies that link pesticide use to impaired fetal development. It has also been shown that kids who eat inorganic foods have six times the amount of pesticides in their systems as children who eat organic foods.

A brief search of some of my favorite databases doesn’t show too many studies dealing specifically with the benefits of organic foods for pregnant women and fetuses, but I think it’s safe to assume that any additional chemicals or pesticides that may be consumed while eating non-organic food could pose some danger to the health of the unborn child.  Anything that the mother consumes could be passed to the fetus through the placenta, and foreign chemicals could cause lots of problems during such a crucial period of development.