Are there any states or cities that are trying to build edible gardens for their schools?

I am not sure if there are statewide or even citywide programs to create edible gardens, but I know that some universities are installing edible community gardens. At the university I am currently attending (University of Denver), we planted a vegetable garden as well as a permaculture garden composed of fruit trees, berry bushes, herbs and spice plants ect. The gardens are open to the students and surrounding community to come garden or pick fruits and vegetables. 

Seattle is doing its part with the community by planting edible gardens at the schools. The extensive periods of rain and lack of sunlight allows the gardens to grow without much maintenance. These edible gardens will keep kids proactive and teach them healthier eating habits.