Are there any states that have made carbon footprint labeling on food mandatory yet?

I really think we need to step up to the plate on this. I think people would really respond to labeling like this if it was done correctly.

No, this hasn’t happened yet and I don’t think it will for at least a number of years.  Other countries are experimenting with this right now and it has been increasingly popular in the UK.  France plans to make carbon footprint labeling mandatory by next year, 2011.  As it becomes more accepted and popular in the UK and the EU (as it seems to be) there will probably be a higher demand for it in the U.S.

As of right now no states in the U.S. have taken that step.  They are present on some products in British supermarkets and France has recently proposed to include them as well.  However, it doesn’t seem like it is mandatory anwhere as of yet.  Some experts believe that this labeling system could hurt trade, but I believe that the environmental pay off is more important.