Are there any places in the ocean that has a lot of oil that is naturally leaking into the ocean?



  1. 0 Votes

    A study published in 2003 estimates that about 47% of oil in the ocean is from natural seepage.  The remaining 53% is from spills during extraction, transportation, etc of oil by humans. 

    The estimated amount of crude oil seeping into the ocean is 600,000 metric tons per yea, though the range of uncertainty is 200,000 to 2,000,000 metric tons per year. 

    One well known location of natural oil seepage is Coal Point,  near Santa Barbara, California.  This location leaks 2,000-3,000 gallons of oil per day.

Please signup or login to answer this question.

Sorry,At this time user registration is disabled. We will open registration soon!