Are there any harmful chemicals or metals in old traditional incandescent bulbs?



  1. 0 Votes

    Traditional incandescent bulbs contain mercury. When these bulbs are thrown in the trash and break, they release mercury vapors that tend to contaminate the surrounding air and soil. “If mercury is ingested, it is unable to be broken down and causes brain, spinal cord, kidney and liver damage.” Mercury can also transform into methylmercury, a compound that bioaccumulates in animals and people. The mercury accumulated in the bodies of fish for example can be transferred to people who eat the fish. Those most vulnerable to methylmercury poisoning are children. Pregnant women exposed to this chemical may also give birth to babies with certain genetic defects.

Please signup or login to answer this question.

Sorry,At this time user registration is disabled. We will open registration soon!