Are there any good environmental writers?

I enjoy the classic environmental writers. Aldo Leopold, John Burroughs, John Muir, Rachael Carson etc… However I find many good environmental pieces in monthly magazine literature.

Rachel Carson, Sheila Watt-Cloutier, David Cromwell, Linda Moulton Howe, James Lovelock and many others.

EO Wilson is a famous biologist who has won the Pulitzer Prize twice.  His many fantastic books include Biophilia, in which he proposes that all humans are born with an innate love for other living things, and the conservation manifesto Creation: An Appeal to Save Life on Earth. 

Henry Thoreau’s Walden, or Life in the Woods is a personal favourite.

Otherwise, there’s a lot of good environmentally-themed fiction out there. Carl Hiassen has written a lot of environmentally-themed fiction, especially for younger audiences (see first link below). Robert Tell is another environmental author – his book, Thirsty Planet is a suspense novel in which scientists try to ‘fix’ global warming.

Ed Abbey is always fun to read. His Desert Solitaire is a very fun account of a gritty and inhospitable man in a gritty and inhospitable land. He spends several seasons as a park ranger for Arches National Monument and has some really biting comments about Americans and their car-obsessions. Also great is John McPhee’s Encounters with the Archdruid, where the head of the Sierra Club goes on trips with a miner, real estate developer, and dam builder.

6. mle

I’m really glad Ed Abbey was mentioned – I highly recommend all of his writings!  Another good environmental author is Barbara Kingsolver (I recommend Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life) along with Barry Lopez’s Of Men and Wolves.  The classic book is Aldo Leopold’s A Sand County Almanac.

Ooh this is a good question. There are so many to choose from, all dependent upon what kind of a mood you are in, I suppose.  I enjoy Michael Pollan, his Omnivore’s Dilemma and In Defense of Food are very interesting.  Thoreau and Whitman are great literature, always.  Abbie Hoffman is fun, and most recently I read Al Gore’s Inconvenient Truth.