Are raisons or grapes healthier?

Because a raisin is a dried grape, its nutritional contents and sugars are concentrated. Thus, while according to the Berkeley Wellness Newsletter, raisins contain three times the antioxidants as grapes, they also contain more calories per serving. A cup of grapes is 31 calories, but a cup of raisins is 246 calories. After adjusting for size, I think the following chart from is a good comparison:

Raisins 1 ounce Grapes 1 cup
    Calories 84 62
    Fiber 1 g 1 g
    Sugars 17 g 15 g
    Potassium 6 % 5 %
    Vitamin C .6 mg 3.6 mg
    Iron .5 mg .3 mg

As you can see, there’s not much of a difference. I would personally consider grapes healthier because they have more water. Most people don’t get nearly enough water, and fresh fruits are generally healthier.

Raisins contain more fiber, the drying process is what converts the green grapes fructose into fructan which is a type of fiber.  They also contain 3 times the amount of antioxidants as grapes.  Grapes are lower in calories than raisins as they have a lower sugar content. 

Since both are healthy the choice is which works best for each individual.
    If you want a good source of antioxidants and fiber – raisins
    If you want a snack that’s low in calories and sugar – grapes

3. mle

Since the raisin/grape question has been answered, I thought I would point out that the idea that raisins are bad for one’s teeth seems to be incorrect.  Parts of raisins can easily be cleaned off teeth, which isn’t true for sticky candies.

Both have unique benefits: Red grapes contain the potent antioxidant resveratrol, which is thought to fight cancer and heart disease. Raisins are known to contain a lot of fiber, and contain more minerals, amino acids and other antioxidants. Unfortunately, they have more sugar.

This question made me wonder if the nutritional facts listed above take into account the vegetable oil the raisins are commonly soaked in to keep them from sticking together.  According to the California Raisins website, “oil constitutes less than 0.10% of the product and must be listed per 100 grams of raisins.”  So, probably negligible unless you are eating large amounts, though it could of minor concern if the oil are hydrogenated.  But perhaps at this point, I am splitting hairs.

I’d def say grapes are healthier, not only for the water content, but also because of a lack of additives. Dried fruit is the number one source of sulphur dioxide, in otherwise healthy eaters. It can cause allergies, asthma, even zits!

Grapes are healthier because they are fresh and full of life, whereas raisins are a dried out, often preserved and sweetened version of the original grape. Grapes are low in calories and high in nutrients, whereas raisins are often high in calories due to added sweeteners and lower in nutrients due to the drying process.