are plastic water bottles bad for the human society?

Good question, eco101.  I think an argument could be made to say so.  A plastic bottle isn’t necessarily such a horrible thing in itself, though it does perpetuate our need for petroleum and natural gas, it takes a really long time to biodegrade, and it may have possible health hazards.  But if only a few people really used them, it probably wouldn’t be a big deal.  The reason I think it may be bad for society is because we use them too much.  An overabundance of many things has potential negative effects, and I think the same goes for plastic bottles. 

Hope this helps!

It is some studies have shown that bisphenol A (BPA), a chemical used in the production of plastic water and baby bottles, is linked to some health problems, including cancer, in infants and children.  Thankfully, many plastics manufacturers have removed or are removing BPA from their production process.

Other than that, plastic is a very  useful material, and if water bottles are properly recycled, we can save a lot of energy.