Are plantains better than bananas?

Plantains are like bananas except they need to be cooked before eating them. They are low in sugar and are not suitable to eat raw. However, since they are starchy they are used like potatoes in many Caribbean and West African food dishes. Therefore they provide an important staple to this regional diet.

In terms of taste…both are good – it depends if you like sweet or savory. I myself prefer cooked plantains to raw bananas.

Nutritionally speaking, bananas are better for you.  For a banana, 152g has 135 calories, 34.7g of carbohydrates, and 18.6g of sugar.  One cup of sliced plantains onthe other hand, which is 148g, has 181 calories, 47.2g of carbohydrates, and 22.2g of sugar.  Overall though, there is not a huge difference between these two fruits, and I would say that you are fine to make your decision based on personal preference.