are people still scared of giant fish

Sure they are. I’ve never personally heard anyone talking about this issue, but I was easily able to find articles describing the recent discoveries of HUGE fish in the world’s waters. This article talks about how a record catfish (130lbs) was pulled out of the Missouri River, and a 430-pound-halibut was caught in Alaska. Giant jellyfish are also gaining in numbers, such as the Nomura jellyfish, which weighs 440 pounds! Overfishing (taking fish that compete for food with these jellyfish) is one factor leading to their increase. And then–there are millions of giant squid eating fish stocks in the Pacific. They are six feet tall, have 40,000 teeth, swim in packs of thousands, and will attack humans.

I have to admit, it’s a bit disconcerting.

Definitely. There is a show on Animal Planet called River Monsters with host and fisherman Jeremy Wade. The whole basis of the show is Jeremy Wade goes to exotic places to search for fish that allegedly cause human death. Although many of the “killer fish” he is pursuing are relatively harmless, he still hypes up the potential for man eaters. People must be scared of giant fish because his show is pretty popular. [img_assist|nid=191624|title=fish|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=640|height=459]