Are coins better for the environment than paper money?

Paper money, is of course formed from the pulp from trees.  It does not last as long as coins and does become worn and torn with time.  Whereas coins have a lifespan of approximately 30 years, paper lasts about 21 months.  However, the weight of coins makes it a deterrrent for both consumers and businessowners.  As with any paper, there is an amount of waste and neutering of trees and their products. 

When it comes to money, the most efficient (least wasteful) way to go is electronic. Coins are a waste of resources in my opinion. I wonder what we could build with all that copper, nickel, and zinc? Why do we even have pennies and nickels (even dimes) — I don’t remember the last time I bought anything that cost me 7 cents. We should melt down all the pennies, nickels, and dimes and create some better infrastructure (like pedestrian bridges instead of crosswalks — so we don’t need to run the lights and slow down the cars (both cause energy to be wasted)!  To answer the question, I’d say no; but it’s a close tie as they are both kind of outdated. How comfortable would you feel, though, knowing that your only money lies as a digital file kept in some bank account database? How different is this from what we have now? Don’t we only have like 4% of the total currency in hard form — why not make that 0% and save on all those resources!? It’s going to take wide-sweeping changes to fix the problems we are dealing with (the causes of global warming/ climate change/ destruction of natural habitats)… and one is to utilize the technology we’ve got to it’s fullest potentiall… let’s face it: It’s only a matter of time, and it would be more efficient if we made the change to paperless / coinless — an entirely electronic money system — so what are we waiting for?