Are schools in California the most green schools in America?

I’m not sure if you mean schools as in colleges or just public schools (like high schools). In terms of high schools and such, it’s hard to actually answer thing but I think it’s safe to assume California’s are the greenest.

In terms of colleges though, this isn’t necessarily the case. While there are a good amount of very green colleges in CA, most of the elite northeastern schools are very green. Take a look at this list of the top 20 or click the link below for the top 135 eco-friendly schools.

University of Colorado – Boulder
    University of Washington – Seattle
    Middlebury College
    University of Vermont
    College of the Atlantic
    Evergreen State College
    University of California – Santa Cruz
    University of California – Berkeley
    University of California – Los Angeles
    Oberlin College
    Harvard University
    University of New Hampshire
    Arizona State University – Tempe
    Yale University
    University of Florida – Gainesville
    Bates College
    Willamette University
    Warren Wilson College
    Dickinson College
    New York University

I’ve read other lists that show the “University of California” in the top ten, without specifying which branch is at the top. However, I haven’t seen a UCal school listed as number one overall. This is ok – being in a top 10 or top 20 list is still great. I’ve visited several UC campuses, namely Berkeley and Santa Cruz, and find them to be lovely places with a lot of plants and trees, not to mention great academics.