Are the blood type diets good for the environment?

I don’t believe so.  The blood type diet simply lays out the types of foods you should eat, according to your blood type.  Among the varying diets laid out for each blood type, almost every food is covered, and there’s no indication that organic/sustainable options are better than their conventional alternatives.  So it seems to me there’s no inherent eco friendly factors to the diet.

That said, the diet does recommend avoiding GM foods, since lectins can be moved around when a plant’s genes are altered.  It also recommends certain blood types avoid processed foods.   There is also some implicit favoring of organic food in that the diet is based on the notion that blood types were established long ago and are designed for archaic ways of life, meaning they were designed for life before chemical fertilizers and pesticides, antibiotics, etc.

Still, an individual could easily follow the basic principles of the blood type diet without in any way affecting their environmental impact, so overall, I would say the diet is not eco friendly.

Since blood type is determined by nothing more than a few protein markers on your red blood cells, a blood type diet does not promote wellness. As for eating what your ancestors ate, that might not be such a good idea if you live thousands of miles away from where they originated and participate in different activities than the ones they did. More likely, the nutrition that you need will depend on what you do rather than your heritage. People in certain parts of the world ate more or less meat because of a) the amount of physical activity that they performed daily and b) the availability of meat.

However, there are a few rare cases in which people should carefully limit what they eat based on their biology. PKU is one such case:

If you are interested in an environmentally friendly diet, I would like to recommend the 100-mile diet. The 100-mile diet cuts down on the energy used in the transportation of food. Personally, I like to buy all my produce at a local fruit stand and buy other local foods whenever possible. Farmer’s markets are a good place to shop if you are interested in eating eco-friendly.