Are American citizens starting to get carbon credits for their homes and building projects?

According to the website Carbon Futures, only projects that receive a seal of approval from the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, (UNFCCC), can truly claim to have had their emissions reduction impact verified. These seals of approval are hard to come by, HOWEVER, governments and corporations can purchase carbon credits. It is also said that Americans are causing the most damage with carbon, so I think it would be a fabulous idea to reward those who are cutting back on carbon emissions. I think the reward of carbon credits would be based on state or city governments, and depending on the project. The links below are for Carbon Credits Explained, and an article on the amount of carbon emissions.