Are air purifiers that use ionization safe?

I am looking at installing an air purification solution in my home. My contractor has recommended a solution that uses ionization – electrical charges – to eliminate particulates. I heard that these were bad for you and that the Sharper Image one was pulled from the shelves and partly why Sharper Image went out of business. Any thoughts with citations here? Thx

Some Ionizing air purifiers can cause problems — often because some ionizers can produce harmful ozone levels.

According to a Consumer Reports article from 2005, the dangerous ionizers were:

• Brookstone Pure-Ion V2;

• Sharper Image Professional Series;

• Ionic Breeze Quadra S1737 SNX;
    • Ionic Pro CL-369; IonizAir P4620; and
    • Surround Air XJ-2000.

The AAFA (Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America) offers a “Seal of Truth” as does Allergy UK — but both of these foundations approved the Sharper Image ionizers and an Oreck ionizer (both were eventually pulled from the market.  You may want to check the CADR (clean-air delivery-rate) certifcation issued by the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers.