Any reasons why we in North Texas had more rain this past October, 2009, than in our recorded history?

There is one very big reason why you experienced record rains in northern Texas in October: global warming. My brief browse of climate data for Texas in October 2009 shows that the climate of Texas was particularly erratic in that month. College Station (where Texas A&M is) received 195% of the amount of rain it usually gets in October; Dallas/Fort Worth got 196%; Houston suffered an eye-popping 292% of precipitation, and I’m surprised poor San Antonio is even still on the map, having endured a whopping 308% of its normal precipitation. Global warming is known to intensify hydrologic cycles. As temperatures rise, there is greater evaporation of water from the oceans. As the water vapor in the atmosphere moves inland, the result is rain. In your case the moisture mostly comes from the Gulf of Mexico. These effects were predicted years ago by the International Panel on Climate Change’s models of global warming. Unfortunately the deluge in Texas is neither unexpected nor likely to be an outlier; if I were you I would expect record-breaking precipitation more often in the future.