any comments on 3rd generation rats on GMO diet being sterile?

My initial reaction to GMO foods was one of intense skepticism based on more general evidence that screwing around with the way nature does things hasn’t worked out well for us (i.e., introduced species into vulnerable environments, etc). But studies directly involving GMO foods (also performed on hamsters with GM soy) that show sterility and higher mortality rates in mammals pretty much guarantees my staying on the non-GMO side of the fence. In lieu of these experiments, I think it abominable that the FDA does not require labeling of GMO foods. Opponents surely can no longer stand on the argument that no difference has been shown between genetically engineered food and naturally grown food.

Sure makes me think of the film Children of Men….

While I agree with the above poster, I think that genetically modified food is so prevalent that it would be much easier to label what isn’t GM. As more GM crops are planted (currently, 89% of all soybean and 60% of all corn crops in the US are GM) crop contamination, in which GM crops contaminate their non-GM neighbours, becomes much more likely. A recent example is the threat by six European and Japanese companies to cease importing from Australia over GM canola crop contamination (see first link below).

Crop contamination is also an issue in the US. Just last month the USDA decided to deregulate the planting of GM alfalfa, which is currently the fourth largest feed crop, planted on over 20 million acres.  Agricultural experts with Iowa State University’s Seed Science Center have determined that allowing the GM crops (modified by Monsanto to resist the herbicide RoundUp) will “inevitably” lead to contamination of their organic and non-GM counterparts.

My comment is – this is why we plant our own raised bed, heirloom seed, organic soil herbs and vegetables including corn.  It’s pretty crazy that we have more information about every waking (and passed out) moment of a celebrity’s life, than we do about the food that we eat.  It used to be the simpliest thing in the world to eat healthy.  No antibiotics were used, no chemical fertilzyers, no pesticides, no GMO foods.  All food, every bit should have to be labeled in terms of where it came from and how it was grown and if anything at all has been added.  If people were eating a varied diet of local, organic, fresh foods, they wouldn’t need to worry so much about the nutrient labels, the minerals in the soil and the fertilyzer from free range animals would provide what was needed without fear of high fructose corn syrup being added or that the food had travelled more in the last month than the person eating it had travelled in their whole life.