With all of these extreme weather patterns do you think that people are more likely to believe in global warming?

Yes — people can tangibly see how our climate is changing and reacting to the impact of human activity.  Many will still be skeptical, of course, but I think a lot more people will understand something isn’t right because so many hurricanes, floods, droughts, etc. are happening all over the world.  Let’s just hope that it will help realize that the Earth is in danger, and we all need to pitch in to help.  

Well, I sincerely hope that the sheer rate and concurrency of intense, irregular weather patterns will shock people who have been skeptical of climate change, and challenge them to question their beliefs and to learn more about the science and culture explaining global warming.

But, that being said, I remain pessimistic about a sort of massive awakening regarding the reality of global warming. In the United States, it has become a highly politicized issue, and American political discourse has the tendency to reduce complex issues down to a series of easily digestible soundbites. Unfortunately, this tendency is currently being applied to issues of climate change, resulting in flawed rationalizations (such as those on the linked Conservapedia) which stem from partisan political aims, not from scientific analysis.

In referencing this side of the political debate on global warming, I don’t mean to imply that liberals don’t do the same thing — they too often reduce global warming to a standard talking point without addressing the real complexity of this issue. But in answering your question, I ultimately have to conclude that the politicized atmosphere of the public global warming debate in America will probably not change as long as climate change remains objectively gradual and subjectively reduced.